Cycling at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Men's road time trial
|Men's road time trial|
at the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
Grumari Circuit - Pontal
|Venue||Pontal, Rio de Janeiro|
54.5 km (33.9 mi)
|Date||10 August 2016|
|Competitors||40 from 30 nations|
| Cycling at the|
2016 Summer Olympics
|List of cyclists|
| Road cycling|
| Track cycling|
| Mountain biking|
The men's individual time trial was one of 18 cycling events of the 2016 Olympic Games. The event started and finished on 10 August at Pontal, a small peninsula and beach area in the Recreio dos Bandeirantes neighborhood, located in the West Zone of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The race start and finish were part of the Barra venues cluster and one of seven temporary venues of the 2016 Summer Olympics.
Following his stage win in the final time trial of the 2016 Tour de France, Chris Froome of Great Britain was projected as the favourite for the gold medal. Time trial specialists like Switzerland's Fabian Cancellara, Germany's Tony Martin, Tom Dumoulin of the Netherlands and reigning world time trial champion Vasil Kiryienka of Belarus were also possible contenders.
The men's course was two laps of the 29.8 km (18.5 mi) Grumari circuit for a race distance of 54.5 km (33.9 mi). The race start and finish of the course was at the Tim Maia Square (Estrada do Pontal), then entering the Grumari circuit (clockwise) to reach the first climb (Grumari climb) after 9.7 km (6.0 mi) and the second climb (Grota Funda climb) at 19.2 km (11.9 mi).
Start list and results
Richie Porte of Australia, Vincenzo Nibali of Italy and Wout Poels of the Netherlands were due to participate, but had to withdraw due to injuries as a result of their crashes in the men's road race. Algeria, Colombia, New Zealand and Venezuela also forfeited places for which they had qualified. Dan Craven of Namibia, and Geraint Thomas of Great Britain were invited to fill two of the vacancies in the field.
- "Rio Olympic Games Facilities: Barra Region". brasil2016.gov.br. Archived from the original on 20 August 2016. Retrieved April 1, 2016.
- NOCs qualified for Road Cycling men’s events (PDF), UCI, 25 March 2015, p. 2
- Westby, Matt (9 August 2016). "Olympic Cycling: Men's and women's time trials preview". Sky Sports. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Rio 2016 Road Cycling - Men's Time Trial" (PDF). UCI.ch. Retrieved April 21, 2016.
- Abraham, Richard (9 August 2016). "Geraint Thomas confirmed for Olympic Games time trial". Cycling Weekly. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "Thomas, Craven confirmed for Olympic Games time trial". Cycling News. 9 August 2016. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Rio Olympics time trial start lists". Velonews. 9 August 2016. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "Men's Individual Time Trial - Standings". Rio2016. 11 August 2016. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- Wynn, Nigel (9 August 2016). "Dan Craven decides to ride Rio Olympics time trial after Twitter vote". Cycling Weekly. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- Rio de Janeiro Olympic venues map (rio2016.com)