Games of the Small States of Europe
The Games of the Small States of Europe (GSSE) is a biennial, multi-sport event, launched by the Republic of San Marino, organized by and featuring the National Olympic Committees of eight European small states since 1985. The Games are held at the end of May or beginning of June, and feature competition in nine Summer Olympic sports.
The games are organized by the members of the European Olympic Committees (EOC). From its initial forming at the 1984 Olympics through 2009 there were eight members; the group's ninth member was added in 2009. Members all have a population of less than one million people (Cyprus is the only exception, however its population was below one million in 1984). Participating countries are:
(*) Montenegro became the ninth GSSE country on 1 June 2009.
The Faroe Islands are also seeking to compete at the Games; however, unlike the other participants, the Islands are neither an independent state (they are an autonomous part of Denmark) nor are they an EOC member.
|I||1985||23–26 May||City of San Marino||San Marino||8||-||222|
|IV||1991||21–25 May||Andorra la Vella||Andorra||8||-||697|
|VI||1995||29 May – 3 June||Luxembourg (city)||Luxembourg||8||-||684|
|IX||2001||29 May – 2 June||City of San Marino||San Marino||8||-||658|
|XI||2005||30 May – 4 June||Andorra la Vella||Andorra||8||10||793|
|XIII||2009||1–6 June||Cyprus (3 cities)||Cyprus||8||12||843|
|XIV||2011||30 May – 4 June||Liechtenstein (9 cities)||Liechtenstein||9||9||750|
|XV||2013||27 May – 1 June||Luxembourg (city)||Luxembourg||9||12||762|
|XVII||2017||-||City of San Marino||San Marino||-||13||-|
|XIX||2021||-||Andorra la Vella||Andorra||-||-||-|
List of sporting disciplines
At the 2013 Games 11 disciplines were contested (with both men's and women's divisions):
- Beach volleyball
- Table tennis
All-time medal table
Updated after the 2015 Games of the Small States of Europe.
- Monaco to host 2007 GSSE published by SportsBusiness.com on 2003-06-06, retrieved 2010-12-02.
- "Montenegro to host 2019 edition". www.timesofmalta.com. Retrieved 19 July 2016.
- "Andorra acollirà al 2021 els Jocs dels Petits Estats d'Europa" [Andorra will host in 2021 the Games of the Small States of Europe] (in Catalan). 12 May 2016. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- Athletic Association of the Small States of Europe
- Monaco 2007
- Cyprus 2009
- Liechtenstein 2011
- Luxembourg 2013
- European Olympic Committees: Games of the Small States of Europe
- Medal results for Monaco 2007
- Remo, Raimondi; Manlio Molinari; Eros Bologna (2003). "Statistics on GSSE Participation 1985–2003" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- "Games of the Small States of Europe – History of athletics results". Athletics Weekly. Retrieved 2007-06-12.