|Land area||30,400.94 km² (11,737.87 sq mi)|
|Population||30,900 (June 2016)|
|Seat of District Council||Invercargill*|
|*not part of Southland District|
Southland District was formed through the 1989 local government reforms. Four local authorities were amalgamated at that time: Wallace County, Winton Borough, Stewart Island and Southland County. John Casey, who was first elected onto Southland County Council in 1977, oversaw the amalgamation and was elected Southland District's first mayor in 1989.
Southland District covers the majority of the land area of Southland Region, although the region also covers Gore District, Invercargill City and adjacent territorial waters. It has a land area of 30,400.94 km2, excluding inland waters such as Lake Te Anau, Lake Manapouri, and Lake Hauroko.
The current district mayor is Gary Tong. He has held this position since 2013.
The district council is made up of twelve elected members, from various ward areas, and like any other local authority is elected every three years.
- Cinque Terre, Italy
- Southland District was a sister city to Wyong Shire in New South Wales, Australia until 2010.
- "Subnational Population Estimates: At 30 June 2016 (provisional)". Statistics New Zealand. 21 October 2016. Retrieved 21 October 2016. For urban areas, "Subnational population estimates (UA, AU), by age and sex, at 30 June 1996, 2001, 2006-16 (2017 boundary)". Statistics New Zealand. 21 October 2016. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Role of Council". Southland District Council. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Veltkamp Smith, Pat (29 June 2011). "Life of community works". The Southland Times. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- Cinque Terre Sister City agreement to be signed on Thursday (Southland District Council press release 24 March 2009)
- Wyong Shire Council (14 January 2010). "Councillors aren't flippant when it comes to expenses". Retrieved 21 May 2012.