Tibor de Nagy Gallery
The Tibor de Nagy Gallery is an art gallery in New York City, USA. It was involved in the discovery of many of the Second Generation Abstract Expressionist Movement’s artists and also representational artists of the era including Grace Hartigan, Alfred Leslie, Helen Frankenthaler, Jane Freilicher, Paul Georges, Red Grooms, Ian Hornak, Kenneth Noland, Fairfield Porter and Larry Rivers.
Tibor de Nagy Gallery is among the earliest modern art galleries in New York. Started in 1950, today it has a contemporary program and a focus on the Post War second generation New York School. Since 1993 the gallery has been owned and directed by Andrew Arnot and Eric Brown. The gallery has always been an uptown presence and at its current location at 724 Fifth Avenue for over fifteen years.
The gallery was founded by Tibor de Nagy and John Myers and established emerging artists including Carl Andre, Helen Frankenthaler, Jane Wilson, Red Grooms, Larry Rivers, Jane Freilicher, Fairfield Porter, among others. The gallery became a salon for artists and poets and exhibited collaborations between them. The gallery published early volumes of poetry by New York School poets John Ashbery, Kenneth Koch, and Frank O’Hara. It continues its involvement in poetry today and publishes books from time-to-time.
The gallery specializes in paintings and works on paper. It represents a group of artists whose works are either painterly representational or abstract. It also works with a number of Estates of such figures as Joe Brainard, Rudy Burckhardt, Donald Evans, and Jess.
- Tibor de Nagy, 85, Gallery Owner Who Helped Cultivate 50's Artists, New York Times, by Roberta Smith, December 28, 1993.
- Tibor de Nagy Gallery Records, Smithsonian Institution, Archives of American Art.
- Watson-de Nagy Gallery Records, Smithsonian Institution, Archives of American Art.
- "The First Fifty Years," by Karen Wilkin
- "Statement," by John Ashbery