View of the Asylum and Chapel of Saint-Rémy
|Artist||Vincent van Gogh|
|Catalogue||F803 / JH2124|
|Medium||Oil on canvas|
|Dimensions||45.1 cm × 60.4 cm (17.8 in × 23.8 in)|
View of the Asylum and Chapel of Saint-Rémy is an oil on canvas painting by Vincent van Gogh that he painted in autumn 1889 at Saint-Rémy, France, where he had voluntarily incarcerated himself in a lunatic asylum.
The painting was originally thought to be a view of the church at Labbeville, near Auvers, where he moved following his stay at the asylum, but it is now accepted to be a view of the asylum and church at Saint-Rémy. It may have been among the 'autumn studies' mentioned in Vincent's letter to his brother Theo of 7 December 1889.
According to Ronald Pickvance, "the view is unique in van Gogh's entire Saint-Remy oeuvre. It is the only work that affords a glimpse of the Romanesque tower of the original Augustinian monastery; in this respect, it can be compared with several views of the Romanesque tower of Saint-Trophime in Arles (e.g., F409, F515). Stylistically, it can be compared with Entrance to a Quarry".
The painting was in the collection of the actress Elizabeth Taylor, on display in her living room, and was sold at auction in 2012 following her death for $15,991,575.
- de la Faille, Jacob Baart (1970). The works of Vincent van Gogh. Amsterdam: Meulenhoff. p. 305.
- "To Theo van Gogh. Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, Saturday, 7 December 1889". Van Gogh Museum. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- Pickvance, Ronald (1986). Van Gogh in Saint-Rémy and Auvers. Metropolitan Museum of Art. p. 153. ISBN 978-0-87099-477-7.
- Deborah Arthurs; Daniel Bates (7 February 2012). "£10m for Van Gogh that Liz Taylor kept in her living room: Actress' art collection smashes £9m estimate to sell for £14m". The Daily Mail. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Christie's, LotFinder: entry 5532359 (sale 8049, lot 12, London, 7 February 2012)
- de la Faille, Jacob-Baart. The Works of Vincent van Gogh: His Paintings and Drawings. Amsterdam: Meulenhoff, 1970. ISBN 978-1-55660-811-7
- Hulsker, Jan. The Complete Van Gogh. Oxford: Phaidon, 1980. ISBN 0-7148-2028-8
- Naifeh, Steven; Smith, Gregory White. Van Gogh: The Life. Profile Books, 2011. ISBN 978-1-84668-010-6